A few months ago, I started walking in the mornings with a bunch of ladies in my neighborhood. It was just what I needed to get my butt in gear and start focusing on being more healthy and getting my life back. I’ve since started focusing on what I eat, working out on a regular basis, watching my sugar intake (most days!) and really getting on a healthy track.
Well, one of our walking days ended with one of the girls grabbing us all some warm muffins from her house to end our walk. They were so good, and the next day we were all begging for the recipe. Little did we know that these amazing muffins were not only delish, but also EASY!! You make a HUGE batch of batter and then the batter lasts in your fridge for UP TO 6 WEEKS. Yup, you read that right, 6 weeks. Now, mine haven’t lasted 6 weeks. The longest we got was 5 weeks in the fridge. And they only lasted that long because I was gone for 10 days during the 5 weeks.
- 2 cups bran flakes (like the cereal!)
- 2 cups bran buds (like the cereal!)
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup shortening
- 4 eggs
- 2½ cups white flour
- 2½ cups wheat flour
- 5 tsp soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 quart buttermilk
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, pour boiling water over brand buds and flakes. Let cool
- In a smaller bowl, beat eggs well until fluffy. In a large mixing bowl, cream shortening & sugar; then add the eggs to the mixture.
- Sift flour, soda and salt together.
- Add to the wet mixture and stir well.
- Add in bran mixture and buttermilk, alternating, about 1 cup at a time.
- Line cupcake pan with liners and spray with non-stick spray. Fill ¾ full and bake at 350• for 20-25 minutes. Store excess batter in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 6 week.
- Pull batter out and stir fully then fill lined & sprayed cupcake tin. Bake 1 or 20 at a time!
These muffins have been a hit with the whole family, and the neighbor kids have even grown to know that we usually have some on hand. This is one snack that I don’t mind whipping up and handing out to everyone in the middle of the day.
A few other recipes you may love: