Lately I have been in the “prep dinner waaaaay ahead of time or we’ll end up getting takeout” phase. If I don’t have it planned and in the crockpot or oven early then I usually pack the kids up and head to the drive thru. This is SO not a good thing for my weightless journey. So I’ve started creating a weekly menu plan of easy/quick dinners, crockpot dinners or ones that have been frozen and can quickly be transferred into the oven on our way out the door to karate practice.
One of my all time favorite crockpot meals are these salsa chicken tacos. They are so incredibly flavorful that you barely need anything on top of them too.
- 2 chicken breasts (frozen or thawed)
- 1 cup salsa
- mexican flavored rice
- cheese (optional)
- Put the chicken breasts in the bottom of your crockpot and pour the salsa over the top. Place lid on the crockpot and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6-8 hours.
- Once the chicken is fully cooked, use two forks to shred it into small peices in the bottom of the crockpot. Mix the shredded chicken up with the salsa left in the bottom.
- Cook your rice and prep the other ingredients.
- Layer the rice, chicken, lettuce and cheese (all toppings optional) on top of the tortilla. Squeeze a small amount of lime juice over the top and serve.